Scott County MaterFest 2016 will take place on Friday and Saturday, July 22 and 23, on the downtown courthouse lawn in Scottsburg.
The third annual event sponsored and organized by Scottsburg Main Street, MaterFest is the last festival that will take place locally before county schools reopen. Plenty of music, food, bounce inflatables, booths and more will be offered at this one-of-a-kind get-together that celebrates the county's agricultural heritage and its once-popular crop, tomatoes.
Families and folks are welcome to come to MaterFest and enjoy several contests, an antique toy and tractor show, the MaterFest Queen Pageant, a cooking competition and dulcimer and other music as well as hear the county's biggest liars.
Anyone needing information about booth rental at the 2016 MaterFest should call the Scott County Visitors Commission at 812-752-9211 or visit the website at MaterFest.com. There is also information about how to enter the 5K race and links to Ross Country Jamboree, located on the south side of the downtown square. The Jamboree has two special shows that weekend, the Doo-Wop All-Stars on Friday evening and performers Mandy Barnett and Lloyd Wood on Saturday evening.
Jamboree doors open at 6:15 p.m., and the shows begin at 7 p.m. Visit rosscountryjamboree.com or call 812-752-8877 or 1-866-573-ROSS to reserve seats. The Friday night performance will cost $10, and the Saturday night program costs $20.
Friday night's schedule includes:
• 4:30 to 6 p.m.: Vendor set-ups.
Grounds will close at 11 p.m.
Main stage attractions that evening are:
• 7 p.m.: MaterFest Queen Pageant.
• 9 p.m.: Danny Berry - “Cowboy Poetry.”
Scottsburg Train Depot:
• 6 to 9 p.m.: Antique toy show.
For Saturday, July 23, events on the square will include:
• 8 a.m.: Booths open.
• 10 a.m.: Cornhole tournament.
• 11 a.m.: Cooking contest registration and check-in.
Grounds will close at 11 a.m.
Main Stage events are:
• 9 a.m.: Not Your Granny's Dulcimer.
• 11 a.m.: Biggest Liar contest.
• 12 noon: Cooking contest.
• 1 p.m.: Music by Zarephath.
• 4 p.m.: Live art demonstration.
• 6 p.m.: Karaoke contest.
• 8 p.m.: Hanger 7: Remote control car and airplane demonstration.
• 9 p.m.: YMCA Zumba Glow Party.
Train Depot events on Saturday are:
• 7-8 a.m.: 5K registration.
• 8 a.m.: 5K race.
• 8 a.m.-12 noon: Farmers' Market.
• 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Antique toy and tractor shows.
• 10 a.m.: Growers' contest at Farmers' Market.
The schedule is also located on the websites of the Visitors Commission and MaterFest.com.