|Wellness Committee presents info to NH board|
|Written by Administrator|
|Friday, 19 June 2009 00:00|
The Wellness Committee at North Harrison had their annual meeting within a school board meeting Thursday when they presented the board with information on their activities from the past school year.
Tonya Caffee is on the committee said, “We oversee and assist in projects that assist in the students being healthier.”
One such project was to get cafeteria workers in the school corporation to offer two items with starches (such as corn and French fries) fewer times per month. Green beans instead of the corn would provide less starch when used.
They also try to teach healthy eating choices in the classroom, in an effort to reduce obesity. It is what Caffee said were long term life choices.
There was a program at the high school where fresh fruits and vegetables were made available to students and staff, and that has ended with the end of the 2008-09 school year, according to Caffee. The grant money for it ran out, according to Caffee.
Another possibility is starting a Biggest Loser competition among the staff of the schools, and is a possibility in the spring of 2010.
North Harrison Middle School teacher Ron Snyder wishes that physical education was more common at all grades in the corporation; he said when he was growing up in the early 1960s in upstate New York, PE was common in school on a daily basis.
North Harrison Middle School teacher Ron Snyder said, “I wish we could do something like that, and take the lead in Southern Indiana.”
Currently, PE is held one time a week for students at Morgan Elementary.
In an unrelated matter, the board accepted (5-0) the resignation of North Harrison High School assistant principal Doug Dodge.
Dodge had been the assistant principal since the second semester of the 2001-02 school year, and was one of the people who started the Harrison County Alternative School. He also started and ran the Character in Education program, where students at the high school are given tickets for things like making the honor roll, or never being tardy or absent.
In other matters, the board:
- Approved the adoption of 4th and 5th grade social studies materials (Scott Foresman) for both elementary schools.
Waived the second reading of the School Board Policy for Transfer Students and approve adoption of the policy.
Waived the second reading of the School Board Policy for Cellular Telephones and Electronic Communications Devices and approve adoption of the policy.
- Approved submitted changes to the North Harrison Middle School Assignment book for the coming year.
- Accepted a donation of $2,000 from Jones Machine and Tool Inc. to the high school athletics department.
- Accepted a donation of $1,000 from the Morgan Elementary PTO to Camp Kindergarten at Morgan Elementary.
- Accepted a donation of $1,000 from the North Harrison Elementary PTO to Camp Kindergarten at North Harrison Elementary.
- Accepted a $650.00 from 1st Harrison Bank to Morgan Elementary for its field trip to Conner Prairie near Indianapolis.
- Accepted a $1,000 donation from the North Harrison Elementary PTO to North Harrison Elementary School for Read Across America.
- Approved construction contracts as recommended for the project at Morgan Elementary School.
- Accepted the resignation (retirement) of Doris Salyards as a cafeteria worker at North Harrison High School, effective August 7, 2009.
- Accepted the resignation of Madonna Taylor as 7th grade volleyball coach.
- Accepted the resignation of Kelly Cooper as boys’ golf coach effective at the end of the 2009 season.
- Appointed Robert Higdon as the girls’ golf coach (lay) at the high school for the upcoming 2009 season.
|Last Updated on Friday, 19 June 2009 09:14|