|Lanesville School Board approves smoking survey|
|Written by Administrator|
|Tuesday, 24 June 2008 19:00|
The Lanesville Board of School Trustees agreed Tuesday (June 17) to allow the Harrison County Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Coalition to take a survey of Lanesville school students this fall.
The Youth Tobacco Survey is taken every even numbered year, in grades 6 through 12.
Program Coordinator Jennifer Riley said that only two to five classrooms would be needed for the survey, and
added that the survey takes only about an hour.
Riley said, “Recent surveys show a decrease in youth smoking rates. The cigarette tax last year has helped
Riley added that Harrison County was among the first counties in the state to go tobacco free in all of its
school districts (3).
In the 2006 survey, the percentage of smoking in grade 11 is 29 percent, and in grade 12 is 29 percent.
Overall, the smoking rate among youth has dropped since 2000. The smoking rate for grades 6 to 8 was
9.8 percent in 2000, and had dropped to 7.8 percent by 2006. In grades 9 to 12, the 2000 rate was 31.6 percent,
and that had dropped to 23.9 percent by 2006.
According to information provided by the Harrison County Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Coalition,
more than 10,200 Indiana youth become smokers each year.
In other business, the board:
• Approved an overnight field trip for an FFA officer retreat at either Blue River or the forestry.
• Approved a facility use request for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to use the entire school
building for active shooter training on July 8 and July 15, from 10 am to 5 pm.
• Approved the use of mid-buses for the St. Mary’s Church picnic, on August 10, 2008.
• Approved maternity leave for Darcy Kamer for a duration yet to be determined in the fall.
• Approved June intercession contracts for Mikel Miller and Bethany Miller.
• Approved Cynthia Lipke as a para professional for the June 2008 intercession (3 days, 3 hours per
• Approved payment of peer tutors for the June 2008 intercession.
• Approved hiring new custodian Norman Lawton.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 June 2008 10:40|