|Time running out to register for Pekin Pageants|
|Written by George Browning|
|Wednesday, 28 May 2014 00:00|
Registration forms found in the May 28, 2014 issue of the paper
Deadlines for both the Pekin Fourth of July Queen contest and the Prince and Princess contest.The deadline for both contests is May 30.
The following is information on both contests and registrations forms can be found inside.
Prince and Princess
Entrants for the July 4th Prince and Princess Contest Seeking Candidates for 2014 are being sought.
The following is a list of information and rules for this year’s contest:
The Pekin Community Betterment Organization has announced the 2014 rules for this year’s Prince and Princess Contest. They are as follows:
1. All winners will be determined by a panel of judges for the 2014 Prince and Princess contest.
2. Any boy or girl 4 to 6 years of age may enter. Contestants may be from any locality.
3. The contestants must have a sponsor. This may be an individual, business or organization.
The sponsor may also be a parent or family member. The sponsor will pay the entry fee.
4. An entry fee of $30 will be required for each contestant.
5. Contestants will decorate their own float and will ride in this vehicle or float for the parade.
Contestants are responsible for their own transportation and decorations. There will be trophies given for the best decorated float or vehicle entered in this category. Floats will not be a factor when choosing the Prince and Princess.
Each contestant must send the following items to the Pekin Betterment Organization.
1. a photograph no smaller than 2” x 3” for use in the program book. (Photos will not be returned.)
2. application form (see below)
3. 3 x 5 index card with information to be read on the stage (hobbies, school, etc...) This should be no longer than 3-5 sentences. These sentences should tell us what your child is interested in and likes to do.
4. check for $30.00 made out to Pekin Betterment
5. For the parade, all contestants must be in the parking lot of East Washington Elementary School in Pekin by 8:45 a.m. on July 4th. Floats and vehicles will line up and proceed from there to Main Street. The parade will be from 10-11:00 a.m. If your float has “walkers” they can wait for the float in the church parking lot near Main Street and join the float as it processes to Main Street.
6. The Prince and Princess contest will be held at the Pekin Park at approximately 12:30 p.m. on July 4th. Contestants should report to the back of the stage by 12:15.
7. Entries will not be accepted after May 30. This early deadline allows time for the trophies,
Programs, and newspapers to be printed.
8. A prize of $25 will be given to each winner of the Prince and Princess contest. First runners Up will receive $15 and second runners up will receive $10.
10. Applications must be signed by the parent or guardian of each boy or girl.
Please send your completed application, index card description, photo and check to: Shari Dalton, c/o Pekin Betterment, P O Box 54, Pekin IN 47165
Call 967-4612 for questions.
Entries for the annual Pekin 4th of July contest will be accepted until May 30, 2014. No late entries accepted.
Any single girl of high school age, including entering the 9th grade or graduating in the class of 2014, is eligible.
Contestants may be from any locality.
Previous 4th of July Queens are ineligible.
The contestant must have a sponsor, each sponsor is required to pay $60 as an entry fee. Checks should be made out to the Pekin Betterment Organization. No refund will be given if the contestant drops out after the deadline. The sponsor may be an individual, business, or an organization.
Each contestant will be responsible for her own transportation during the parade either in a vehicle or a float, but no pull behind wagons or trailers. This will be judged during the parade.
Each contestant will be required to attend the first meeting at 6 pm on May 30 at the Pekin Park Shelter House. Pictures for the paper and souvenir books will be taken at this time. Times for the rehearsal date, meeting with the judges and activity meetings will be given at this initial meeting.
Contestants will be required to wear a formal dress during the contest, but will be able to choose their own attire for the parade with approval from the Queen committee.
All contestants must be at the designated place an hour and a half prior to the parade starting.
The Pekin Betterment Organization reserves the right to reject any contestant for immoral or improper behavior as they see fit.
Each contestant must fill out the entry form agreeing to the rules. The forms and fee must be mailed to Darlene Hall at P.O. Box 204, Pekin, IN 47165.
Judges meeting and practice will be June 29 at 2 p.m.