?FEMA to be at Floyd County Fairgrounds to distribute food stamps, applications for disaster assistance PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 22 October 2008 00:00
?    All this week, FEMA will be on hand at the Floyd County 4-H Fairgrounds to distribute food stamps to qualified homeowners whose food was lost during the power outage resulting from September 14's windstorm.
    These food stamps will be in the form of pre-loaded “shopping cards”, allowing families re-compensation of food losses.  These cards will vary in amount depending on the size of family, conditions, etc.
    In addition, FEMA can also offer the opportunity to apply for housing assistance to cover structural damage to homes.
    FEMA can provide grants up to an amount of $28,800. Past this amount, homeowners can be presented with low-interest loans by the Small Business Association (SBA).
    The deadline to apply for this assistance is December 8.
    You may register by speaking to a FEMA representative at the Fairgrounds this week, by calling their toll free number at 1-800-621-FEMA(3362), or by registering online at www.fema.gov.
    During registration, you will be asked for general information about your income, insurance, housing needs, and the damage to your residence. Be sure to use your legal name when applying, do not use a nickname or abbreviation. You will be given an application number which will help locate your file in the system. Be sure to write this number down and keep it at hand.
    In the following few days, a FEMA inspector will call you to arrange a visit to your damaged property. The inspector will examine disaster-related damages for FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program. You will then be asked to sign a document stating that you were lawfully present in the United States at the time of the disaster. Proof of ownership is also required. If qualified for FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program, you will receive a check or the funds will be directly deposited into your designated bank account.
    A letter will also be sent explaining how you may use the funds.
    FEMA disaster assistance covers basic needs only and will not normally compensate your entire loss. Contact should be made with your insurance agent first, followed by FEMA.
    For any questions, FEMA may be reached at 1-800-621-FEMA(3362), and for those with speech or hearing impediments may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 October 2008 13:48