Choking game turns deadly for Salem teen PDF Print E-mail
Written by George Browning   
Wednesday, 08 August 2012 07:19

 

Washington County Coroner Rondale Brishaber released information on the death of Isaiah Shell.
Brishaber said Shell, 14, died as a result of positional asphyxiation from a result of playing a choking game.
Brishaber said Shell was found by his family in the basement of their North Hayes Street home.
Brishaber said an autopsy was not requested and not performed.
He is urging parents and anyone who works with youth to research the game on the internet and inform kids of the danger of playing it.
According to the Web site, gaspinfo.com, (Games Adolescents Shouldn't Play), The choking game is not a game at all—just an act of suffocating on purpose.

The site says, adolescents cut off the flow of blood to the brain, in exchange for a few seconds of feeling lightheaded.

Some strangle themselves with a belt, a rope or their bare hands; others push on their chest or hyperventilate.

When they release the pressure, blood that was blocked up floods the brain all at once. This sets off a warm and fuzzy feeling, which is just the brain dying, thousands of cells at a time.

More information about the choking game and many other can be found on the above-mentioned Web site.