|North Harrison board tables accepting matching grants at meeting|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 17 March 2010 00:00|
The North Harrison Board of School Trustees had a light meeting Tuesday (March 11), which was dominated by acceptance of donations and some personnel decisions.
The board tabled accepting a donation of $11,498 (in the form of a grant) from the Harrison County Community Foundation to purchase a Yamaha Piano Lab at the middle school.
The amount in the form of a donation ($11,498) required a match from the board.
North Harrison Middle School choral teacher John Malone applied for a grant for this a year ago, and the board approved the initial application for the grant a year ago, with the knowledge that a match was required.
North Harrison Middle School principal Karen Lambertus said she thought the lab would be an asset to the music program at North Harrison.
“It’s just a way to encourage the students to enjoy the arts more,” she said.
In the set up as proposed, the teacher would be able to listen to each student from a central control as they practice. Each student would have their own individual head phones.
In another grant situation, the board tabled accepting a Harrison County Community Foundation donation of $20,523 (a match is required) to Morgan Elementary School, to purchase leveled reader books and quizzes.
Both grants from the Harrison County Community Foundation were tabled 5-0.
Board member Mike Beyerle was concerned about the fact the grant information was just handed to the board that night, when they needed to be matched by the board.
In a grant that required no match in funds, the board voted 5-0 to accept a donation of $5,635 from the Harrison County Community Foundation to support Camp Kindergarten.
The board voted to:
- Approve Jimmi Fessel as yearbook sponsor at Morgan Elementary.
- Approve Miranda Melton as volunteer lay coach for the North Harrison High School track teams.
- Table an appointment of a North Harrison School Corporation representative on the Alternative School Advisory Board. It has been tabled for further consideration.
- Approved a donation of $500 from 1st Harrison Bank for the high school choir.
- Heard an informational report from North Harrison High School Principal Kelly Simpson on the new date for the high school commencement: Sunday, June 6, at 2:00 p.m.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 March 2010 13:20|