|Camm to face trial for a third time|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 09 December 2009 00:00|
David Camm will go to trial for the third time for the alleged September 28, 2000 murders of daughter Jill (5), son Brad (7), and wife Kimberly Camm.
Floyd County Prosecutor Keith Henderson made the announcement last week.
The need for a third trial is due to the fact that the first two convictions were thrown out.
The most recent trial was in 2006 and had to be moved to Warrick County because of the amount of attention the case has received locally.
A Warrick County jury found Camm guilty in the 2006 trial, but that ruling was thrown out by the Indiana Supreme Court in July of this year because the prosecution introduced evidence that Camm allegedly molested his daughter.
The supreme court ruled that there was no evidence connecting Camm to the alleged molestation.
Henderson said that he had spent many months considering all of the factors and evidence involved, and with the support of the Kim's (Renn) Family, he has decided that the State must re-try Camm for what he called the sake of justice.
“Unlike the first reversal that said that the evidence was less than overwhelming, the second reversal by the Supreme Court stated that there’s ample evidence outside of the child molesting evidence for the convictions,” Henderson said.
Warrick County Superior Court No. 2 still holds jurisdiction over the case.
Henderson said that he expects that an Initial Hearing will be held in that court and that Judge Robert R. Aylsworth will keep jurisdiction.
Henderson said that he anticipates a change of venue and other motions, but that each of them will be dealt with in due time.
Henderson began last week’s press conference by dismissing claims of a book deal regarding the first two trials in this case.
“There are a tremendous amount of inaccuracies being reported by the media,” he said. “There is no book deal; there is no agreement to publish.”
A press release from his office did state, however, that there was an agreement at one point:
“Once the case was out of my jurisdiction and in the hands of the Attorney General, and with the encouragement and support of the Renn Family, I agreed to publish the story of the Camm case,” he said. “Once the case was reversed, the agreement to publish was terminated. However, I am more convinced now than ever that when this matter is completed, the unedited version of events need to be told.”
A co-defendant has already been convicted at a separate trial in 2006 on conspiracy and murder in the above-mentioned deaths. He was sentenced to 225 years in prison and his conviction was upheld on appeal.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 December 2009 09:50|