|North Harrison board reinstates Oppel as varsity baseball coach|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 18 November 2009 00:00|
The North Harrison Board of School Trustees voted 3-1 Thursday to reinstate Gregg Oppel as the varsity baseball coach at the high school. Fred Naegele, Gary Byrne, and Fred Renneker voted to reinstate, with Greg Beyerle voting against it. Bobby Chinn was not present at the meeting.
The board had voted 3-2 in their October meeting to not renew his contract. At that time, Renneker, Chinn, and Beyerle had voted against reinstating Oppel, with Naegele and Byrne voting to renew the contract.
An emotional Oppel said after the meeting, “I truly am happy to be back. I’m just tickled to be coaching at North Harrison again.”
Referring to the people in attendance at the meeting, Oppel said, “It’s a humbling experience and you truly never know how much support you have, until something like this happens. It gave me goose bumps to think that many people came here to support me.”
Oppel thanked the board for giving him another shot at the coaching position.
“I do thank the board for taking the time to reinstate me as baseball coach at North Harrison,” Oppel said.
Oppel also thanked the coaching staff in the baseball program, saying, “I have the best coaching staff around, and I appreciate their diligent efforts to keep this program headed in the right direction.”
In another major item, the board voted to provide a Health Savings Account (HSA)/Health insurance option for all employees. The board will pay 65 percent of the corporation savings to an employee HSA. A family account will cost $2,954 and a single account will cost $1,418.
The board also voted to accept the following donations: $2,300 from the North Harrison Elementary PTO for gym equipment for the school; $1,000 from Wal Mart the same school, in lieu of a teacher of the year award they had been giving; $600 from the Burgher and Burgher Law Office to the boys’ basketball program; and $500 from the Metro United Way to the high school.
In other business, the board:
- Approved the first reading of the Student Drug Testing Policy. Copies are available to the policy.
- Accepted a quote from Carriage Ford in the amount of $27,495.71 for a replacement maintenance truck with snow blade and lift gate.
- Hired Kent Rentschler as freshman boys’ basketball coach for the present school year.
- Appointed Jennifer Harley and Kim Voyles as a lay varsity cheer coaches at the high school for the present school year.
- Hired Ronald Hamby as varsity assistant boys’ basketball coach for the present year.
- Approved Mark Lamon as assistant varsity girls’ softball coach for the 2010 season.
- Approved Key Oil as the provider of fuel oil for heating for the present school year. The price of $2.099 per gallon was the winning bid.
- Hired Jimmi Fessel as a lay yearbook sponsor for the 2009-10 school year.
- Appointed Rhonda Rowe as a lay Renaissance sponsor at the high school.
- Appointed John Lambert as head girls’ softball coach for the 2010 season.
- Approved Melissa Schilmiller as a custodian at the high school.
- Hired Debbie Barr as corporation bus driver for Route 35.
- Accepted the resignation of Justin Fessel as custodian at the high school effective on October 31, 2009.
- Accepted the resignation of Donna S. Plunkett as custodian at the high school effective April 1, 2010.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 18 November 2009 14:19|